When you are ill, you can start to feel tired, achy and feverish. This is a sign that your body is fighting the infection and it’s trying to make you rest. Rather than fighting the symptoms and reaching for pills, it is better to support your body naturally by resting and having plenty of fluids and nutrients. You can include the following foods to help your body beat the winter ills:
- Natural anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory foods – garlic, ginger, turmeric, sage, coconut oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice with warm water and honey (locally sourced and raw if possible).
- Bone broths – use organic chicken carcass or beef bones, add a mixture of vegetables such as carrots, leeks, onions and herbs. Cover with water and gently simmer for a few hours. Strain and drink the broth daily.
- Vegetable juices – if you have a low appetite, fresh vegetable juices can be a great source of nutrients and antioxidants.
- Probiotic foods – sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, natural yoghurt, kefir and kombucha.
- Essential Fats – oily fish such as sardines, mackerel and wild salmon, seeds such as flax, chia, and hemp seeds.
- Coconut water – for hydration and replenishing electrolyte stores.
THIS IS AN EASY TO FOLLOW PROTOCOL FOR SUPPORTING YOUR BODY THROUGH THE WINTER BOTH KEEPING WELL AND FIGHTING INFECTION. IT DOESN’T REPLACE THE MEDICAL ADVICE THAT A GP CAN PROVIDE IF YOU BECOME VERY UNWELL BUT IT CAN HELP YOU SEE YOUR WAY TO THE SPRING LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WINTER TUNNEL.
PLEASE SHARE IF YOU FOUND THIS USEFUL AND FOLLOW FOR MORE INFO ON HOW NUTRITION ENABLES YOU!